Sunday, February 12, 2017

Cake!

I love Carla Emery's book
The Encyclopedia of Country Living, The Original Manual of Living Off the Land & Doing It Yourself

Carla gives gardening tips, livestock care basics, recipes, green living advice from before green living was cool,  rural living anecdotes and folklore, encouraging yet sobering  advice on homesteading and more. All you need to start living the "simple" life.
(And right now it's on sale ...$7 cheaper than normal...now's the time to grab it!!)

And one of the things I love in this book is this chocolate cake recipe.

Jeanie Johns' cake

Mix 1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
 1/2 tsp salt
Melt 6 tablespoons of shortening. ..butter or oil works. I used coconut oil
Add 1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup cold water
1 tsp vanilla
Bake at  350 for 25-30 minutes in a 8x10 pan

Now you need a creamy frosting to top this baby and I found one at All Recipes.com



  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


  • Let me tell you...the troops enjoyed this one twice so far and you will be doing yourself a favor baking this one.
    Let me know how it turns out!

    That's me!! Still in my jammies...yep, really driving!

    Linked with the Chicken Chick. And Homemaking Mondays

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I love comments!